At Brighton First United Methodist Church we believe that we are transformed by God to transform the world. Here are some of the many ways people of all ages and abilities can participate in transforming the world.
Some of our Mission and Outreach Connections:
John Dean Town in Liberia
In conjunction with all the United Methodist Churches in the Ann Arbor District, Brighton First has committed to supporting this medical outreach to Liberia over a three year time frame.
Hope’s Closet is an outreach to foster children and foster families of Livingston County. This ministry helps by providing furniture, clothing, diapers and Christmas presents.
VINA Dental Clinic
VINA is a low cost dental facility on our church campus providing dental care to low income, uninsured residents of Livingston county. Call VINA at 810-844-0240 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fish and Loaves Community Dinner
Fish and Loaves is a free community dinner and is served every Sunday in Brighton at a local Brighton church. Fish and Loaves is coordinated by Love INC and serves all who come seeking food and fellowship. First United Methodist Church of Brighton serves dinner in our Fellowship Hall (lower level) on the 4th Sunday of every month, March through December.
Love INC stands for “Love In the Name of Christ” and coordinates assistance for individuals in Livingston County. The program is a cooperative of many churches in our county, each church offering a unique service, and we are pleased to be part of this collaborative effort. Brighton First provides gas cards for transportation and bedding to Love INC clients. Many services are available through Love INC. Do you need assistance? Call Love INC at 517-552-3620.
Gleaner’s Food Bank
We collect food weekly for the local food bank. We have a grocery cart in our Community Room (upper level) for collecting food.
Brighton First church members volunteer to be bell ringers at several of the Salvation Army “red kettle” sites during the Christmas holiday season. Our congregation also provides gifts for families at the request of the Salvation Army at Christmas.
West Hickory Haven Monthly Birthday Party-Sponsored by the United Methodist Women (UMW)
Each month the United Methodist Women (UMW) host a birthday party at West Hickory Haven nursing center in Milford. They serve refreshments, pass out song books, and enjoy conversation with the residents. Volunteers are more than welcome to bring their children or grandchildren as the nursing home residents love having the kids present during this special time.
The NOAH Project Lunch Program
We provide over 400 bag lunches for this ministry at Central United Methodist Church at 23 E. Adams, Detroit MI, 48226. NOAH stands for “Networking, Organizing and Advocating for the Homeless.”
CROP Hunger Walk
Every fall we participate in this national fundraiser supporting hunger causes locally and abroad.
Red Bird Mission
This mission in Beverly Kentucky serves the physical, educational and spiritual needs of Appalachia. There are opportunities for people of all ages and abilities to participate in this trip. Contact: Fred Thompson – email@example.com
Mother’s Center held at Provitin United Methodist Church in the Czech Republic
The United Methodist Church in Protivin, Czech Republic, is our sister church. For more information contact: Verne or Agnes Hoshal – firstname.lastname@example.org
United Methodist Church Spotlight Giving Each Month
We support missions around the world. We believe that contributing to the following missions assures that we are balancing our financial gifts with the needs in the world. There are numerous opportunities to contribute to these missions, or you may designate your offering at any time, to any of these.
- Apportionments – Financial gifts from our regular offering to support the connectional ministries of the United Methodist Church.
- CASS Community Services (#1151) – Specially designated donations that support this ministry to the poor, mentally ill, cognitively impaired and addicted residents of Detroit.
- NOAH (#1162) – Specially designated donations that support this ministry to the homeless of Detroit.
- VINA Dental Clinic (#1134) – Specially designated donations that support the low-income dental clinic on our campus.
- Missionary Sonya Luna (#3019618) – Director for Hispanic and Latino Ministries, Michigan.
- Protivin Sister Church (#00399A) – Specially designated donations support this United Methodist church in the Czech Republic. As a sister congregation to Brighton First, we offer support financially, communicate regularly with the local pastor and send people to work in mission there.
- Spirit Lake Mission (#3020453) – Specially designated donations support this mission to the Native American people of the Spirit Lake Nation in North Dakota
- Blankets through Church World Services (#982810) – Each winter we take a special offering, “selling blankets”, your donation of $5 provides a blanket through Church World Services for a refugee somewhere in the world.
- CROP Walk (982380) – Each fall we recruit walkers and sponsors to participate in this nationwide effort. Through Church World Services funds are raised in an effort to eradicate hunger.
- Heifer International (#982418) -Fill an Ark! – Working with communities to end hunger and poverty
- Haiti Hot Lunch Program (#418790) – The Hot Lunch program provides children in EMH schools with hot, nutritional meals, that many children otherwise would not receive. Before the program, children would attend school relying only on the breakfast eaten at home or snack foods purchased in the street. This program ensures access to nutritional meals, cooked on-site, to provide energy to learn throughout the day.